Wednesday 10 July 2013

Nearly there...... and Goblins.

As the title says, nearly there on the Chaos army.

 I have only one Minotaur and 35 Beastmen to do. And the varnishing and basing of course, although if the sunshine keeps up, both will dry quickly :)  I've added a few pictures of some of the lastest painted.

After the Praetorian blog post last time, I have done a test model for a stand alone Praetorian project I planned ages ago. The idea is to have a solely Veteran army, probably 1,500 points, but it is not a priority to do.

 After the Chaos army I will paint up a few odds and ends of the Praetorians, but nothing to distract me from taking on the next 3,000 point 3rd Edition army. Maybe finish off the Dark Elves, or maybe the Wood Elves.

 The gathering army.
 Minotaur Lord, one of the Level 5 Heroes. I bent his arms in a bit so he will fit in the unit.
 Another Minotaur.
 The other Level 5 Hero, a Marauder Minotaur.
 Iron Claw Beastman, Night Horror Fishman, and Crocodile faced beastman.
 Runequest Broo (Iguana Headed Broo), and two later 1980's Beastmen, the one of the right having the head of a Fleshhound.
 A repaired C27 Beastman called Slime Arm that always looked a bit like a chaos Slann to me. The other one is a later 1980's Beastman archer that I hide away in amongst the swordsmen.
 Solid based Runequest Broo, and another late 1980's Beastman with a great expressional face. 
 Two more Realm of Chaos era Beastmen.
 A C series Beastman which was also sold as part of a set with him mounted on a horse. 
The other one is a Night Horrors Apeman.
 Praetorian test model.
Cadian body and arms, with a Black Pyramid Tea Wars head. The head comes with a Home Service spike on top, but I have snipped it off as they tend to bend or break, and it looks more Praetorian Foriegn Service helmeted like this.
 Back view.
The backpack is World War One greatpack from Gripping Beast. 
I have painted them Khaki to give them a seperate feel to the redcoats, and to suggest NBC equipment and Carapace armour.
 Goblins!!! 
40 of them with bows.
 One regiment.
 And the other one!
 Standard bearer using the Jester Chaos Familar again. I have several of these, and so they will pop up every now and again, even on a Wolf! 
The others are a hornist from the Goblin Command range, and Solid based C13 Night Goblin (poking his tongue out as he takes aim!).
 Three 1980's Goblins, all variants sculpted from a same master miniature.
 Three Iron Claw archers. 
The bows were always very chunky on Iron Claw Goblins, but I don't think detracts from them in the slightest. 
The Goblin on the right has the bladed/serrated bow that some Iron Claw Goblins have.
 Two solid based Goblins, and the 'Commando Goblin' on the right. He has a World War Two Commando hat and a string of Mill's Bomb Grenades. That's why he's painted up in army greens.
An Iron Claw Goblin, centre is an Alternative Armies Goblin, and on the right is punky mohawk Goblin from 1987/88.
 When I added the group photograph in the ,Many many Goblins, blog post I stated that all but one were metal. The one on the left is that one, a resin Goblin from Fenryll.
The other Goblin is a Kev Adams Heartbreaker Goblin.
 C12 Goblin with moustache name Grak, and a happy colourful big nosed Goblin from the same era. 
The other one is one a lesser Goblin from Harlequin/Black Tree.
 Shaman from the Command packs acting as a Standard Bearer, and accompanied by an almost certainly noisey C12 Bag Blower. 
The other one is a cheerful and dismounted Wolf Rider named Dugblog Bowrider, and is probably related to Grak above!
 Three more Iron Claw Goblins forming up into a firing line. I love the belt buckle on the right hand side one.
 Two of the same Goblin archer, and another cousin of Grak and Dugblog.
 Yet more Iron Claw Goblins. 
I like the centre one grimmacing at something he's about to shoot at!
 Solid base C13 Night Goblin, and two more 1980's Kev Admas Goblins.
 Two hooded Iron Claw Goblins.
 Grenadier Goblin by Nick Lund, a two more Golbins, if my memory is right are more from the 1985/6 batch.
In my occasional musings on Goblins that look like people, the Grenadier Goblin reminds me of the actor Nigel Planer. Bummer man! ;)
Finally, I thought I would photograph the quivers of these Goblins. 

This series of related Goblin sculpts all have grimmacing faces on thier quivers, very much a Kev Adams sculpting thing. I think they might be suggesting some poor unfortuate Goblins or Dwarves who have had thier heads/faces used for quivers. Several other styles of Citadel Goblins from this era  have this too.

I like this sort of thing, gives them all that extra details that gives the Goblins (and many other miniatures) from this era that extra appeal.



5 comments:

  1. My God, Man! You work amazingly fast! If I can get 1 regiment and a free-floating character or two painted up in a month, I feel like I'm doing great things. I am envious of your abilities. Great selection of models and fun painting as usual! I especially like how you've worked the Broo and Night Horrors figures in amoung the Beastmen. Gives an extra variety I find very appropriate to an old-school Chaos unit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, glad you liked them.
      I thought it was the best way I could make use of the Night Horror and Broo miniatures, and also to give the units a bit more variety. You're right, it does add to the old school feel.

      I can paint fast, but need to focus more. The chaos stuff is'nt too complicated to paint, and if I keep a limited pallete and paint scheme then it's quick. The Minotaurs were really quick to do after the undercoat and basecoating. Slann and Goblins with all the individualism and details can take longer.
      The things that slow me down are undercoating, as I still prefer to undercoat by hand, and basing as it can take time to dry.

      Delete
    2. Very great selection of minis and great work on making them fit so well together!

      Dude, I was satrting to think part of you was human when you said you had to focus and everything... BUT you killed me in the instant (I got better) when you said the part holding you down is the basecoat because you UNDERCAOT BY HAND!
      Seriously, I've never been held down because of drying times (apart from varnish and given the fact I always paint batches and never solo minis).
      You got me once again Goblin Lee, and deserved another big thumb up from me! (as I'm writing this, it feels awkward, I meant it in the most honorable way)

      Delete
    3. That's ok, dont feel awkwark, and thank you for the compliment :)

      I do still undercoat by hand as I could never really get on with sprays. I also prefer to do it as I can look at how I am going to paint each miniature in my mind as I go, which I find helps with the old miniatures. I usually slightly water down the paint (mainly black undercoat, but white for the Slann), and then tackle a batch of them with a big flat headed brush.

      I also varnish by hand, and it's the waiting for varnish to dry that slows down the basing. I usually have radiators full of varnished Goblins in the winter LOL :)

      Painting depends on the miniatures, I do paint individually, part batch, or batch work.
      With the old 1980's goblins because they are very individual in nature, I usually paint them in one's or two's. With the beastmen I take half a dozen, basecoat the flesh tone, armour/shields, and the fur, and them finish them off in one's and two's again. For 40k and contempary stuff, I usually a paint unit or squad at a time, but often add a hero or odd miniature as I go.

      When it comes to basing, I usually set aside an evening or two, and then base the whole army/set of units in one go.

      Delete
    4. I can't agree more with you than when you say painting makes you know a mini better. You can have had it in your hands for as long as you will, have looked at it as many times you want in pictures, you only truly know it once you've painted it and it's only then you can enjoy all these little funny details or mistakes which make their charm.

      Delete